28 January 2008

Notes on the Sound Design Workshop

First of all, hello to my workshop participants, Jamy, Nannette & Chris-I'd love some feedback on what you want to get out of this workshop. If you get a chance, please send me an e-mail- since we're a small group, I'd like to conduct this as a conversation.

Here's a the best way to prepare for the workshop:

1) Download the .zip file with the reading materials (http://www.divshare.com/download/3629705-038), and finish reading as much as you can before the workshop begins. Some tips:

2) DON'T TRY TO MEMORIZE THIS STUFF, especially not the technical info. It is only meant to give you an overview; of certain terms needed to do sound design for your film projects, basic info regarding the use of sound & music, and hopefully, some insights to think of sound & music in a new way.

One basic source I used to gather the materials was an online library (http://www.questia.com) that only lets me copy documents one page-at-a-time. I've organize the separate pages into folders, and hope this doesn't make too much inconvenience. Some of the folders have links to websites that might be useful. Many sites on sound & music are very technical, or too full of advertising to be relevant- again, this info intended as an overview.

The material is contained in the folder "Philosophy Of Music" will, I hope, spark some interesting conversation - please give these six pages some special attention.

3) I noticed that all of you have a Yahoo or Hotmail e-mail account. This is important, because you will need it to register for various websites where you can download sound & music for your film projects. If you have a problem with giving this e-mail address (fear of spam, etc.), please start another e-mail account like Yahoo/Hotmail that you can access from a web browser.

As I said in my 1st blog post, I want this to be as much a learning/sharing experience as a teaching one, all the more so because we're a small group.

See you soon,
Loren
mail@loren-taylor.net

No comments: